Monday, August 31, 2009

Surprise Your Enemies

(Romans 12:20-21) Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

We know and can read that The United States, in its past history, found itself in the midst of a terrible and harsh civil war over the growing problem of slavery, and many other differences. At the end of the war there was over a half million soldiers, from both sides who had died. There were many people in the North who were so resentful and full of hate that the South had pulled them into such a awful war that they wanted the South to pay dearly. When the war was over, a small company of Southerners was granted an audience with President Abraham Lincoln. His gentle, kind and friendly personality quickly softened the hearts of his once-hardened foes and the Southerners left the interview with a deep respect for the man who had been their bitter enemy. Not long afterward, a northern congressman criticized Lincoln for "befriending the enemy!" He suggested that he should have had them shot for being traitors instead of welcoming them! Lincoln's said, "Am I not destroying my enemies by making them my friends?" how true that is and it shows the love that Lincoln had in his heart. As Christians we must do the same thing. When we serve the Lord we can expect our share of enemies. We should never let anger grow up because of our enemies, but rather, seek to win them over with gentleness, kindness, and even love. We should and must show our enemies the Lord's grace and His peace through actions and response. When we do this, we "heap coals" upon their heads! Satan wants to provoke us through our hatred, and their unfriendliness. Don't let the devil do that! Instead, stun your enemies, not with angry vengeance, but with love that comes straight from heaven.

When I was about 14 or 15 years old I was a loner because I never fit into the crowd. I did not march to the beat of the young crowd's drum and for that reason I was disliked by them and hated by many. It become hard for me to walk down a street for of the fear of them beating me {which by the way did happen on several occasions} or chasing me. I began to hate them and thought of ways to seek my revenge on them, But the Lord spoke to my heart and I did not seek revenge. I just let it go. Now later in my life I have become friends with the most of them and have helped many of them in different ways. One of these men had a brother who was dying of cancer. I helped his mother, sister, and his dying brother for months every day until the brother died. The man came to my house and thanked me for my kindness and went away by shaking my hand. I believe that This is the way that Our Lord wants us as Christians to handle our enemies. In this life time a person will never overcome evil with evil, but we sure can overcome it with God's Love and what He said, "Overcome evil with good." When Jesus comes to live in your heart we change the way we want to think and do things. We look at things in a different way. Your enemies will be surprised and taken back. You will find in most cases they are no longer your enemies. In this day and time it makes no difference if we are black or white, from the north or south hate should not be part of our lives. Hate will destroy you.

Not long ago I had the privilege of sitting and talking to a pastor on his church steps. He was black and I was white, but there was no barrier between us because we were caught up in talking about our Jesus. We were and are spiritual brothers. We had a great time that day talking and we will always be friends. There was no hate or dislike between us, only the sweet presents of the Lord, and that, my friend is what heaven will be like!

No comments:

In Today's Word What Are You Building?

  In a day of violence and God's impending wrath, what should a man of God be Building? Noah built an ark. In Noah's day, the earth ...